Temporary (Provisional) Passport
Since the issuing of biometic passports can take up to several weeks, in case of proven emergencies the German Embassy in London can issue a temporary passport (valid for 1 year) in addition to the full passport. The temporary passport will be invalidated upon receipt of the full passport. Generally, passport applicants are required to apply in person after making an appointment.
The following documents are required in original and photo copy :
- Proof of travel or doctor’s certificate
- Completed passport application form - please type or use capital letters. Please underline the first name by which you are usually known and the town or city where you live. Please also state the county (no photocopy necessary)
- Passport and/or identity card
- Birth Certificate (original and translation into German or English if born abroad)
- Naturalisation certificate /certificate of citizenship (if applicable)
- Marriage certificate/extract of german family book (if applicable)
- Confirmation of name change, if married abroad
- Phd certificate if you wish to have your title entered in the passport
- Most recent German local authority de-registration form (‘Abmeldebestätigung’ - only applicable if the last place of residence was in Germany or if a German place of residence is shown in the passport).
- Recent proof of address in GB (e.g. council tax/ utility bill or bank statement)
- Two recent, identical, biometric passport photos with a bright background. More on biometric passport photos
- The fee of £30 by cash or credit card only. Please note that due to the fluctuating Euro/Pound exchange rate, fees can vary slightly. Please contact the Passport Section for the current fees.
- A self-addressed Special Delivery envelope (pre-paid up to 500g - obtainable at any post office), if postal delivery is preferred.
- Please note that your application can only be accepted if the above documents are complete. Should your documents be incomplete a new appointment will be necessary.
Since we are now filing all data and documents electronically we kindly ask you to bring the above mentioned documents with you (apart from the deregistration form). Please do not forget your birth certificates, marriage certificates and name certificates. The application cannot be processed without them.
The information provided here applies to most routine cases presented to the German Embassy in London. Due to the complexity of the German passport law and the multitude of conceivable case scenarios each individual case may have to be treated differently and further documents can be requested.
For more information on temporary passports (proven emergencies only) please contact the passport section:
Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
1-6 Chesham Place, Belgrave Mews West
London SW1X 8PZ
Phone: 0207 8241 463